JEE Main Exam 2020 - Preparation tips, Syllabus, Books, Exam Dates, Studying Material, Exam Pattern Eligibility Criteria, Fee, JEE Preparation App
Joint Entrance Examination is an engineering entrance examination. It constitutes two levels JEE Main and JEE Advance.
JEE Main formerly known as All India Engineering Entrance Examination (AIEEE) is an entrance test for admission into various prestigious engineering colleges like the National Institute of Technology (NIT), Indian Institutes of Information Technology (IIITs) and several other Central Funded Technical Institutes (CFTIs).
It is conducted by the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) all over India and also in 8 cities abroad. A total of more than 10 lac applicants appear for the exam. Out of which nearly 2 lacs candidates qualify for JEE Advance (a step nearer towards IIT).
JEE Main has two papers, Paper-1 and Paper-2. Candidates may opt for either or both of them depending on the course they want to pursue BTech/B. E or B.Arch./Planning.
- Candidate must be a citizen of India. However, NRI, POI, OCI and Foreign National Candidates can also apply
- Candidate must have an Aadhar card registered by his/her name to apply for the JEE exam
- Candidates whose date of birth falls on or after 1 st October 1994 (for general and OBC candidate) are eligible to apply however, there is a five-year relaxation for SC, ST, PWD candidates
- Candidates appearing for JEE Advanced 2019 must have passed 10+2 with a minimum of 5 subjects from a recognized board
- Candidates appearing in class XII or equivalent exam in 2019 can also apply for JEE Main.
- A candidate can take a maximum 3 attempts only
- General and OBC candidates with less than 75% and SC, ST and PWD with marks less than 65% in their Higher Secondary examination are not liable for admission in government colleges through this exam
- JEE Main, unlike JEE Advanced, has a fixed exam structure and does not change every year.
- The Duration of the exam is 3 hours
- It consists of 3 sections: Physics, Chemistry, Math
- Each Section consists of 30 questions each making a total of 360 marks
- For every positive response, 4 marks are allocated, 1 mark is deducted for every negative response
- The exam can be conducted in both online and offline formats, unlike JEE Advance which offers only online format
- The online application for JEE Main starts on December 1, 2018, and ends on January 2, 2019.
- You may make changes to your application form in the correction window from January 9 to 22, 2019. The changes can be made in the exam mode (offline to online only), Aadhar details, exam medium, name, state and date of birth.
- The application process mainly consists of three steps:
- Form filling from official (www.jeemain.nic.in) website
- Photo Uploading, thumb impression, and signature
- The application form must be filled up carefully and the payment must be made before the 2nd of January 2019
FEE for JEE Form
For Paper 1 only
|Examination Opted in
||Offline (Pen & Paper Based)
||Online (Computer Based)
For both Paper 1 and Paper 2
|Examination Opted in
||Offline (Pen & Paper Based)
||Online (Computer Based)
- Sets, relations and functions
- Complex numbers and quadratic equations
- Matrices and determinants
- Mathematical reasoning
- Mathematical induction
- Permutations and combinations
- Sequences and series
- Limits, Continuity and differentiability
- Integral calculus
- Differential equations
- Binomial theorem and its simple applications
- Three-dimensional geometry
- Vector algebra
- Co-ordinate geometry
- Statistics and probability
- Physics and measurement
- Work, energy and power
- Rotational motion
- Laws of motion
- Properties of solids and liquids
- Electronic devices
- Kinetic theory of gases
- Oscillations and waves
- Communication systems
- Current electricity
- Magnetic effects of current and magnetism
- Electromagnetic induction and alternating currents
- Electromagnetic waves
- Dual nature of matter and radiation
- Atoms and Nuclei
- Physical Chemistry
- Some basic concepts in chemistry
- States of matter
- Atomic structure
- Chemical bonding and molecular structure
- Chemical thermodynamics
- Redox reactions and electrochemistry
- Chemical kinetics
- Surface chemistry
- Organic Chemistry
- Purification and characterization of organic compounds
- Chemistry in everyday life
- Principles related to practical chemistry
- Organic compounds containing halogens
- Organic compounds containing oxygen
- Organic compounds containing nitrogen
- Some basic principles of organic chemistry
- Inorganic Chemistry
- Classification of elements and periodicity in properties
- Block elements (alkali and alkaline earth metals)
- Block elements group 13 to group 18 elements
- D - and f - block elements
- Co-ordination compounds
- Environmental chemistry
- General principles and processes of isolation of metals
- Awareness of persons, places, Buildings, Materials. Objects, Textures related to Architecture and build—environment.
- Visualizing three-dimensional objects from two-dimensional drawings.
- Visualizing. different sides of three-dimensional objects.
- Analytical Reasoning Mental Ability (Visual, Numerical and Verbal).
- Three dimensional - perception: Understanding and appreciation of scale and proportion of objects,building forms, and elements, colour texture, harmony and contrast.
- Design and drawing of geometrical or abstract shapes and patterns in pencil.
- Transformation of forms both 2 D and 3 D union, subtraction, rotation, development of surfaces and volumes, Generation of Plan, elevations and 3 D views of objects.
- Creating two dimensional and three dimensional compositions using given shapes and forms.
- Sketching of scenes and activities from memory of urbanscape (public space, market, festivals, street scenes, monuments, recreational spaces, etc.).
- Landscape (river fronts, jungles, trees, plants, etc.) and rural life.
Candidate with more than or equal to cut off marks qualify for JEE Main and can appear in JEE Advance. The cut off is decided on the following basis.
- No. of students appearing for the exam.
- The difficulty level of paper.
- Overall candidate’s performance i.e. if many candidates manage to secure a higher number then the cut off is raised and vice-versa
- No. of questions in the question paper
- However, cut off varies from General, OBC, SC, and ST based on the category
Last 5 years cut off
JEE Main counseling process and seat allotment are done by Joint Seat Allocation Authority (JoSAA). JEE Main counseling is done online via 7 round counseling process.
This involves 5 steps
- Registration for counselling
- Choice Filling process (Choices should be in precedence to the choice of Institute )
- Seat Allocation (Accepting the allocated seat and proceeding for document verification at reporting centers)
- Seat withdrawal and waiting for next round of seat allocation. (If the seat allocated is not the seat you desired, it can be withdrawn and you need to wait for the next round of seat allocation. Candidate can withdraw seat up to 6 round of seat allocation)
- After seat allocation, the candidate must pay an amount of Rs. 45000 as a seat acceptance fee
- Concepts of Physics by H.C. Verma – Volume 1 and Volume 2.
- Complete Physics for JEE Main 2019 by Irodov
- Halliday, Resnick and Walker-Fundamental Physics
- SS Krotov- Aptitude test problem in physics
- Nelkon and Parker-Aptitude Test Problem in Physics
- S.L. Loney- Advance Physics, Elements of Dynamic Part 1 and Part 2
- V. Zubov & V. Shalnov -Problem in Physics
- A.A Pinsky – Problem in physics
- Tipler – Physics Volume 1 and Volume 2
- R.P. Feynman -Feynman Lectures on Physics Volume 1 and Volume 2
- NCERT books (only theory).
- IIT Chemistry by O.P Tondon.
- Complete Chemistry for JEE Main 2019 by NCERT.
- IITJEE Chemistry by O.P Agarwal
- Chemistry Principles and Applications by Seinko and Plane
- IIT Chemistry by Tata Mc Graw Hill
- Concise Inorganic Chemistry by J.D. Lee
- IIT Mathematics by RD Sharma.
- The Pearson Guide to Complete Mathematics for JEE by SL Loney.
- Higher Algebra by Hall Knight
- Problems in Calculus of One Variable by I.A. Maron
- Algebra, Differential Calculus, Integral Calculus by Arihant Prakashan
- Vector by Shanti Narayan
- Introduction Probability and It’s application by W. Feller
IITs and NITs are one of the most esteemed groups of engineering institutions in the country. Thousands of aspiring students take up the exam every year with the hope of making it to the prestigious institutions. At BasicFirst, we offer earnest students the opportunity to interact and learn from the finest faculty. Our study program includes several methodologies. We offer Doubt Clearing sessions, to ensure that students have a strong foundation in the subject. To supplement this, we have online tests and practice workbooks to help train the students to crack the JEE Main entrance exam. To encourage one-on-one interaction, we also give students the chance to consult and interact with our faculty over our Live Online, and Mentor programs.
Our programs are fine-tuned to helping students crack JEE Main. With the help of our special JEE Main coaching program and a little hard work from your side, you can be sure of getting into the NITs or IITs with the choice of course you've always dreamt about.
Prepare for JEE Main Entrance with Basicfirst E-Learning App:
Basicfirst learning app helps you know how to improve low/bad score in JEE Main, to qualify JEE Advance and crack a good IIT rank. The Basicfirst app, all in one solution is the largest learning platform in India. Live Chat: Basicfirst gives you an opportunity to resolve all your doubts with the help of live chat and Q&A by experts. Doubt Clearing Session: Students can gain perfection in conceptual clarity and application skills by taking our doubt clearing feature. Get your doubts cleared by top tutors from IIT/BITS in a one-to-one sessions. Mock Tests: Basicfirst prepares you for the JEE mains exam by learning metacognitive strategies, approaches, patterns of abilities, and learning styles. Boost your score in JEE Main by regularly attempting mock tests designed by Basicfirst. Study Material: Now with the help of Basicfirst specialized courses and study material, aspirants can easily crack JEE Main with a Top Rank though focussed learning.